Exams are always the most stressful time of year for anyone. My course has two exams a term as well as additional essays and presentations, so it’s key that I keep on top of everything, so whilst I’m having a study break, I thought I’d write some tips on how to prepare for exams!
- Print out all your learning resources. I print out all of my powerpoint slides through out the term and put them in a folder, then I annotate them with revision or teacher notes, this is helpful for when I want to look back over them or use them for revision
- Learn your learning objectives. I personally write all mine out on a word document to print out towards exams, but its also helpful if at the end of the week, you go back over them and try to answer them in a separate word document, or use them to make some kind of revision aids
- Start revising early. You always get those people, who two days before the exam are all like ‘eh yeh I might revise tonight but I haven’t done any yet’. Their lying. They’ve probably been revising for a while, and honestly the sooner you start revising, the less stressful it is towards exams
- Set aside personal time. Its important to set a study plan and have certain times that you dedicate to studying, for example I study most afternoons for three or four hours, unless I have a whole day free, when I study for around six hours a day, taking plenty of breaks in-between. As great as this is, its also important to take time out for yourself. I give myself at least an hour a day (not including study breaks) to do something non study related, read a book, watching a film or hang out with friends
- Write a list of all the topics you need to cover. I find this is a really good way to keep on track of what I have to cover and actually helps me organise my study time a lot better as I can prioritise topics I don’t understand too well over ones I know a lot better. This will also allow you to organise your time better and fit in more personal time
Hope these tips help, I know they’ve helped me! I have two more exams to do and then I’ve finished my first year of university, so over the summer I should have plenty more time to update and make YouTube videos!
Let me know if these helped you or what things you do to help prepare for exams!